ORAS Membership Membership Benefits
Join ORAS and enjoy the benefits of membership. ORAS offers annual and lifetime Memberships at several levels:
GALAXY OVERNIGHT PASS: For an additional annual fee of $60, the Galaxy Overnight Pass provides unlimited overnight access to the observatory site, including the grounds, limited electricity, shower, and restroom.
How to Join
To secure your ORAS membership, we provide two options:
OPTION 1: Join ORAS by submitting the on-line application. Click here to complete the ORAS On-line Membership Application.
MAKING PAYMENT: Please read -- After completing the On-line Application, you will be returned to this webpage. When you return, you must select your membership option below, click on "Subscribe," and make payment via credit card or PayPal.
OPTION 2: Print the paper application form, complete the application form, and mail it in along with your check or money order.
ORAS Lifetime Membership
1. Access to the observatory site. The observatory site is a great place to get away from the lights and spend some quiet time with nature under the stars. As an ORAS member, you or friends and family you are accompanying can spend as much time at the observatory as you like. Come spend an evening or stay for the weekend -- the important thing is, you can work it around your schedule. You can even request your own access to the site gate.
Access to the building and telescopes is limited to those who have successfully completed the Observatory Training. If you are interested in this training, please visit the About ORAS page and use the contact form there to get in touch with the Facilities-Observatory and the Education and Public Outreach Chairpersons.
2. Membership in the Astronomical League, of which ORAS is a member. There are many benefits to you as a result. You will receive their quarterly newsletter, The Reflector, a 10% discount on astronomy-related books, observing awards, and much more (see their website at www.astroleague.org).
3. Membership in the ORAS List server, which will allow you to keep up to date on current astronomical events.
4. Telescope access at the observatory, as well as access to a robotic telescope near Perth, Australia. With remote access to this installation, you can be observing in the middle of the day from the comfort of your home. Working in collaboration with Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Perth Observatory, and Skynet, ORAS manages 33% of the time on a 16-inch telescope "down under". ORAS members can access the scope via their computer and Skynet (skynet.unc.edu/). Training will be provided to new members interested in accessing the instrument, and a limited amount of free observing time on the telescope will be provided.
5. Knowing that your membership is supporting a valuable resource in our community. We are fortunate to have an observatory that's available to the public, one that can inspire children of all ages to learn what we think we know, and to dream about what we may not.
6. Access to many knowledgeable individuals in the field of amateur astronomy.