O.R.A.S. Rules and Regulation for Observatory Grounds
1. You may not access the observatory site unless you are an ORAS member in good standing – current on your dues or a guest accompanied by an ORAS member in good standing. This does not apply to public events at the Observatory.
2. If a visitor or member sees a problem or something that needs to be fixed at the observatory site, they should contact Tim Spuck at 814-758-9527
3. Do not operate any observatory equipment until you have been trained and certified by an authorized member and your name has been posted on the list of authorized users. (This includes the roll-off roof, ORAS telescopes and all other equipment.)
4. Do not touch someone else’s equipment unless you are invited to do so by the owner.
5. Headlights can be used up to the parking lot, but cannot be used or pointed in the direction of the observatory field after dusk. Parking lights are permitted when accessing or exiting the observatory area. This applies during the time the moon is below the horizon. (That is waning or waxing within 3 days + or 3 days – of a New Moon).
6. No lights other than red lights are permitted to be used on the field surrounding the observatory when the moon is below the horizon.
7. ORAS is not responsible or liable for any equipment brought to the site that becomes damaged or for damage caused by privately owned equipment.
8. A Google Calendar on our website will list group/public nights (ex. Girl Scouts) or public event nights (ex. anyone can come). Public nights always have priority over private observing sessions.
9. Underage drinking will not be tolerated. Any individual who is intoxicated, in the possession of or under the influence of illegal substances will be removed from the grounds by the proper authorities.
10. There will be “No Smoking” inside the buildings and no smoking near other people’s telescopes.
11. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated and may lead to your removal from the site and the filing of a formal report with the proper authorities.
12. Verbal or physical assaults will not be tolerated and may lead to your removal from the site and the filing of a formal report with the proper authorities.
13. Hunting is not permitted on ORAS grounds.
14. Pets brought to the site must be under the control of the owner at all times. The owner is fully responsible and liable for all actions of his or her pet.
15. Visitors and members are expected to leave the site as you found it. All trash must be removed upon departure. (If you brought it in – take it out.)
16. COVID-19 policy: Until further notice, social distancing should be observed at all times while on site. Masks or other face covering that covers your nose and mouth must be worn inside the buildings, including the observatory building, whether the roof is in the open or in the closed position. Anyone not wearing a mask or other face covering will be asked to exit the building. Refusal to exit the building may result in removal from the premises by law enforcement.