ORAS Membership Membership Benefits
Join ORAS and enjoy the benefits of membership. ORAS offers annual and partial-year Individual Memberships at three levels:
We offer an annual and partial-year Family Membership for up to four individuals in the same household.
We also offer an individual Lifetime Membership.
Annual membership dues are payable by June 15.
Partial-year memberships are payable after December 1. (Delete these two sentences, plus "and partial-year" reference two lines earlier?)
How to Join
To become a member of ORAS, please subscribe below to pay with PayPal, or else print, complete, and mail the application form. For partial-year memberships, please use the application form and pay by check. (Delete this last sentence?)
ADD DROP-DOWN MENU FOR FAMILY AND CONTRIBUTING MEMBERSHIPS BELOW!
Should we include the icons for the credit card companies? Do we accept payment from these directly, or does everything go through PayPal? If the latter, we should just include a PayPal logo.
1. Access to the observatory site. The observatory site is a great place to get away from the lights and spend some quiet time with nature under the stars. As an ORAS member, you or friends and family you are accompanying can spend as much time at the observatory as you like. Come spend an evening or stay for the weekend -- the important thing is, you can work it around your schedule. You can even request your own access to the site gate. Access to the building and telescopes is limited to those who have successfully completed the Observatory Training. Please contact Tim Spuck at 814-354-6515 if you are interested in this training.
2. Membership in the Astronomical League, of which ORAS is a member. There are many benefits to you as a result. You will receive their quarterly newsletter, The Reflector, a 10% discount on astronomy-related books, observing awards, and much more (see their website at www.astroleague.org). Please return your ORAS membership renewal by June 15 each year to take advantage of this offer.
3. Membership in the ORAS List server, which will allow you to keep up to date on current astronomical events.
4. Telescope access at the observatory, as well as access to a robotic telescope near Perth, Australia. With remote access to this installation, you can be observing in the middle of the day from the comfort of your home. Working in collaboration with Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Perth Observatory, and Skynet, ORAS manages 33% of the time on a 16-inch telescope "down under". ORAS members can access the scope via their computer and Skynet (skynet.unc.edu/). Annual training will be provided to new members interested in accessing the instrument, and a limited amount of free observing time is included with your ORAS membership.
5. Knowing that your membership is supporting a valuable resource in our community. We are fortunate to have an observatory that's available to the public, one that can inspire children of all ages to learn what we think we know, and to dream about what we may not.
6. Access to many knowledgeable individuals in the field of amateur astronomy.