ORAS Membership Benefits
1. Access to the new Oil Region Astronomy Learning Center, home of the Bedow Memorial Observatory. The site is a great place to get away from the lights and spend some quiet time with nature under the stars. As an ORAS member, you or friends and family you are accompanying can spend as much time at the observatory as you'd like. Come spend an evening or stay for the weekend -- the important thing is, you can work it around your schedule. Access to the building and telescopes is limited to those who have gone through the Observatory Training. Please contact Tim Spuck at 814-354-6515 if you are interested in this training.
2. Membership in the Astronomical League, of which ORAS is a member. There are many benefits to you as a result. You will get their quarterly newsletter, The Reflector, a 10% discount on astronomy-related books, observing awards, and much more (see their website at http://astroleague.org). Please return your membership renewal by June 15 each year to take advantage of this offer.
3. Membership in the ORAS Listserv, which will allow you to keep up to date on current astronomical events.
4. Telescope access at the observatory, as well as access to a robotic telescope near Perth, Australia. With remote access to this installation, you can be observing in the middle of the day from the comfort of your home. Working in collaboration with Clarion University of PA, Perth Observatory, and Skynet, ORAS manages 33% of the time on a 16-inch telescope "down under". ORAS members can access the scope via their computer and Skynet (https://skynet.unc.edu/). Annual training will be provided to new members interested in accessing the instrument, and a limited amount of free observing time will be included with your ORAS membership.
5. Knowing that your membership is supporting a valuable resource in our community. We are fortunate to have an observatory that's available to the public, one that can inspire children of all ages to learn what we think we know, and to dream about what we may not.
6. Access to many knowledgeable individuals in the field of amateur astronomy.
How to Join:
ORAS Membership Types
To secure your ORAS membership we provide two options:
OPTION 1: Join ORAS by submitting the online application. Click here to complete the ORAS Online Membership Application.
MAKING PAYMENT: Please Read - After completing the Online Application, you will be returned to this webpage. When you return, you must select your membership option below and click on Subscribe, and make payment via credit card or PayPal.
OPTION 2: Click here on the paper application form, print out the ORAS application, complete the application and mail it in along with your check or money order.
ORAS Lifetime Membership: Lifetime Membership can be secured by either completing the ORAS Online Membership Application or the paper application form. Payment can be made either online via the link below or via a check or money order when mailing in your application.